Want to become an MOT tester? If you are interested in becoming an MOT Tester (Class 4 & 7) you will need to have a minimum 4 years' experience in the industry in order to take the new MOT Testing qualifications, additional pre requisites are also required including holding one of the following;
• Level 3 Light Vehicle qualification
• IMI Accreditation Light Vehicle Inspection
• IMI Accreditation Diagnostic Technician Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair


There are 5 units which are covered within the training:
• Safe working practices in the test centre
• Working relationships within the test centre
• Manage own professional development as an MOT Tester
• Carry out pre-test checks for a statutory periodic roadworthiness test
• Carry out a statutory periodic roadworthiness test

Approved and delivered to DVSA Standards

How does it work?

At S&B Automotive Academy we can provide the complete Training package enabling you to become a registered MOT tester. Training will take place at our Academy in Bristol by experienced professionals over the following format.
• 4 Days Training
• 1/2 Day assessment


Once your training has been completed you will be able to apply to the DVSA to become an authorised MOT tester.

Price & Booking

Book online by completing the application form below.

Course Cost (via Invoice): £975

Course Cost (via PayPal): £1015

If you would like to book a place please complete the application form below. Once submitted, you will be provided with available dates and taken through to the payment screen.

Applicant Details

* * * * * Please note: We cannot process your application without this. You must hold a full unrestricted UK licence for the classes of vehicles you wish to test as per Section E27.7 of the MOT Test Guide.

Yes No

* Please note: We cannot process your application without this.

Motor Trade Experience

Requirements are at least 4 years full time experience repairing the classes of vehicle you wish to test.

Please list the month and year that you started and finished with each employer.

PLEASE NOTE: We cannot process your application without this information.

* * * *

Vehicle Classes

PLEASE NOTE: These courses require the use of a computer for which basic IT skill will be required.

Class 1 & 2

Classes 3, 4, 5 & 7

Vocational Qualifications (Classes 3, 4, 5 & 7)

Alternatively, if you have been a tester previously, we will accept a copy of the original letter authorising you to test.

If you are returning to testing following cessation for disciplinary reasons, we cannot accept your original authorisation letter.

Please see below for examples of acceptable qualifications:

NVQ / SVQ / VCQ - Level 3

- L3 Light vehicle maintenance and repair
- Maintaining automotive vehicles

IMI VRQ - Minimum level 3

- L3 Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- L4 Diploma for Automotive Master Technicians

National craft certificate

- Motor vehicle mechanics

Automotive Technician Accreditation

(IMI Accreditation)

(Note: you must have a valid IMI Accreditation ID Card)

- Light Vehicle Diagnostic Technician

- Light Vehicle Inspection Technician

  • If you have any of these qualifications or any other motor vehicle related certificates we will require a copy of them. DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS.
  • We only accept copies of the FINAL CERTIFICATE.

Declaration of Non Conviction

I confirm that I have NO UNSPENT CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS as defined in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 for criminal offences connected with the Vehicle Testing Scheme or the motor trade, or involving acts of violence or intimidation.

I am aware that if, in the future it is brought to DVSA's attention that there are any such unspent convictions that have not been disclosed, this may result in the cessation of my approval to carry out statutory testing.

Please provide information of any 'unspent' convictions for criminal offences connected with the Vehicle Testing Scheme or the motor trade, or involving acts of violence or intimidation.

I declare that the information given on this form is correct. I understand that if I pass the course and progress onto become an MOT Tester:

  • I will be legally responsible for the MOT test certificate and other official documents that I use.
  • I must notify the Authorised Examiner at my VTS (or the DVSA Area Office if I am the Authorised Examiner) if my driving licence is suspended or restricted.
  • I may be disqualified from testing if I fail to carry out tests to the required standard.

Simple Maths: 2 + 2 =